How to Connect Via SFTP Using FileZilla and a Private Key
- Launch FileZilla.
- Click "File" > "Site Manager..."
- A new window named "Site Manager" will open.
- Click "New Site"
- Click the drop down named "Protocol".
- Click "SFTP - SSH File Transfer Protocol".
- Enter the IP address or hostname of the server that you have been given by your provider into the "Host" text box.
- Click the drop down named "Logon Type".
- Click "Key file".
- Enter the username you have been given by your provider into the "User" text box.
- Click "Browse..." and select your PPK file.
- Click "Connect".
- If this is the first time connecting to the server FileZilla will ask you if you want to trust the server, click "Yes".
- If your private key has password protection, FileZilla will ask you for this password when you connect to the server.
- You should now be able to connect to the server via SFTP.
Has this guide been helpful or do you still have questions?
Let us know on Twitter!